A Note About Student Data
Our Service may be used by a school, school district, or teacher (collectively referred to as a “School”) in a classroom setting. Through the provision of our Service to a School, we may collect personally identifiable information from or about students (“Student Data”). We consider Student Data to be highly confidential and do not use such data for any purpose other than providing our Service to the School and as otherwise provided in our agreements with the School. If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying or deleting personal information of a student, please contact your School directly.
1. What Information Do We Collect?
We collect information both directly from you and automatically when you visit our Site or use the Service.
Information We Collect
- School and Teacher Information. When a teacher or school administrator registers for an account on our Service or corresponds with us online, we collect certain personal information such as a full name, email address, username and password. We may also collect additional information about the School, such as a school or district identifier, information about teachers and others authorized to use the Service, and payment information.
- Student Information. Once registered, a School may provide, or permit Breakout to collect, information about its students authorized to use the Service, such as a first name and last initial, username and class code (all personally identifiable information collected from or about students is referred to as “Student Data”). The School may elect to provide non-personally identifiable usernames or identifiers in lieu of a full student name, at its discretion, or, may elect to not provide any Student Data at all.
- Usage and Activity Information. During the course of providing the Service, we collect information about your use of the Service, as well as any information that you submit to the Service, such as answers to questions or the creation of games. In addition, we may ask you for personal information at other times, such as when you contact our technical support team, send us an email, complete a user survey or otherwise communicate with us.
- PII Collection - NO Data, other than what is essential to provide service (listed above) is collected
Information We Collect Automatically
Like most websites and online services, we automatically collect certain types of information about visitors to our Site and users of our Service through cookies and other similar technologies. Examples include referring URL; IP address; device identifier; browser type and version; device name and model; operating system type, name and version; web pages viewed; links clicked; and length of time spent engaged with the Service. We may collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service and to understand more about the demographics and behaviors of our users. You can learn more about Google’s practices at http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners.
We use this automatically-collected information to (i) improve user experience; (ii) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (iii) monitor aggregate metrics such as a total number of visitors, traffic, usage; (iv) diagnose or fix technology problems; (v) investigate fraud or misuse of the Service and (vi) otherwise to plan for and enhance our Service.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features and services (particularly those that require you to sign in) may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. You may also set your e-mail options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our e-mail and performed certain functions with it.
2. How Do We Use Your Information?
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain the Services: To provide our Service, to communicate with School users, to process payments of paid teacher users, to respond to inquiries and for other customer service purposes.
- Personalization and improvement: We use information to tailor the content and information that we may send or display to users, to offer personalized content and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experience while using the Service, including on various devices you may use to access the Service. We collect statistics to better understand how users access and use our Service, monitor the effectiveness of our Service, detect usage patterns, and to diagnose or fix technology problems. We also use information to demonstrate the effectiveness of the Service and perform research, and to develop, support, and improve our Service and other educational products and services.
- Communication: We use your information to provide transactional notifications for certain activities relating to your use of our Service. For example, we may send email notifications when a user completes an activity, to provide receipt for payment or other such notices. From time to time, we may send periodic promotional or informational emails to School users. We do not use Student Data to send marketing communications. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in each email.
3. How Do We Share Your Information?
We may share or disclose your personal information as needed to provide our Service or with your consent or permission. We may also share personal information in the circumstances described below.
- Other School Users: Depending on your account settings and permissions, we permit information to be shared between and among authorized School users. For example, a Teacher can see information about her students’ activities on the Service.
- Consent. We may share information with consent and at the direction of a School or parent. For example, if a School directs us to share content with the parent or guardian of a student.
- Other. We may release personal information if it has a good faith belief that access, use, preservation, or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof; (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Breakout, its users, or the public; or (e) as required or permitted by law.
- We DO NOT share or sell any data about our users. The only information shared with any third-party source is at the user's request, ie. building a connection between an SSO provider and the Breakout platform.
- Breakout Inc.'s use and transfer to any other app of information received from Google APIs will adhere to Google API Services User Data Policy, including the Limited Use requirements.
- Personal information is not visible to anyone on the platform. Educators can see the roster of their students, but only that teacher has access to student work unless intentionally shared by the teacher with that single class.
- Teachers may leave comments on student work - but comments are not publically available to other users.
- Any user-created content does not show personal information.
4. Third-party tracking and online advertising
Breakout does not display any targeted advertising on the Service.
5. Security of Personal Information
Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures are impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any personal information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and take all steps required by law and regulations. You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared device, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Passwords and all sensitive user data is encrypted and securely stored while in motion and at rest.
6. Reviewing and Modifying Information
Upon request, we will provide Schools with an opportunity to review, modify and/or delete the personal information collected from their students. If you are a parent and you have questions about your child's use of our Service and any information collected, you should discuss your questions with your child's School, which will submit the request to Breakout at the School’s discretion.
7. Retention and Deletion
Student Data. We will not knowingly retain Student Data beyond the time period required to support an educational purpose, unless authorized by the School or parent, and will delete Student Data promptly upon request from the School. We do not delete or de-identify any Student Records associated with an active School account except at the direction of the School. The School is responsible for maintaining current class rosters and managing Student Data which the School no longer needs for an educational purpose through the School roster or by submitting a deletion request.
We retain Student Data for a period of up to six months after termination of the contract to continue to provide the School access to its records, after which the Student Data will be deleted and/or de-identified, unless we receive a deletion request from a School prior to that date. We will not be required to delete any information which has been de-identified or disassociated with personal identifiers such that it can no longer be used to reasonably identify a particular individual.
8. Compliance with Laws
Our collection, use, and disclosure of Student Data is governed by our Terms of Service and/or any other agreement with the School, by the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”), the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and applicable state laws relating to the collection and use of personal information of students. If you have any questions about our collection and use of Student Data, please contact us at email@example.com. If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting the personal information of a student, please contact your School directly.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”)
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”)
Students Online Personal Information Protection Act (“SOPIPA”)
California Assembly Bill 1584 (“AB 1584”)
10. Changes to This Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth below. If we make any material changes to this Policy, we will post those changes here. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices. Your continued use of the Service signifies your acceptance of any changes.
11. Contact Us
PO Box 280
696 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
Effective Date: April 29, 2022